To help kids and teens enjoy sport without getting injured, encourage fun, variety and free play.
- Encourage variety – have them try out different sports and playing positions during their school years.
- Do the numbers – the number of hours per week of structured sports training and competition should be less than their age (e.g. less than 10 hours per week for a 10-year-old).
- Avoid playing a single sport for more than 8 months per year.
- Play for enjoyment – are they smiling? Focus on developing a love of sport and being active.
- Free play – allow kids time to just be kids and play. They develop many skills by simply playing with their mates, which can also help them in their sport.
If you are concerned about your child, give us a call today.
0800 473 776