The right fitting shoes are very important for babies, toddlers, and kids of all ages. That’s because wearing footwear that isn’t well fitted or properly designed for their delicate, growing feet can lead to poor development and foot problems as your child grows older. Several studies have shown that many children are wearing the wrong size shoes, which could permanently damage their little feet! As your child starts to explore the world around them, make sure their shoes support them every step of the way. Learn everything you need to know about properly fitting kids’ shoes with this guide – and how to make your child’s shoes last!
10 tips to ensure your little one’s shoes last
- Choose a shoe that has breathable linings for maximum comfort.
- Ensure you know your kid’s current shoe size! Because baby and toddler’s feet can grow half a size or more every few months, you should measure their feet every two months to avoid putting your child in shoes that are too small.
- Make sure that you don’t buy the shoes too small; they should have room for growth. If your child can wiggle his toes freely, you’re good to go.
- The shoes should be well heeled – the fastening mechanism should hold the heel firmly in the back of the shoes.
- The toe area of children’s’ shoes should mimic the natural shape of their foot. Look for shoes with soft, rounded edges and avoid overly hard, pointy or tapered toes.
- The shoes should be flexible across the ball of the foot, so the foot can bend freely.
- The arch of a kids’ shoe should cradle your child’s foot and promote sensory feedback without causing discomfort or misalignment.
- Leave the shoes open to dry out after your child has worn them – dark moist places are a breeding ground for bacteria.
- Before fastening the shoe, push your child’s foot back into the shoe and tie it securely to prevent his foot from moving around inside the shoe.
- Some fashionable shoes, such as Ballerina flats, plimsolls, and other slip-ons, may look adorable, but don’t always provide the right kind of support. Rather buy shoes designed with the real needs of kids’ feet in mind instead of shoes that are trendy.
Call us today if you are concerned about your child’s feet.
0800 473 776
(09) 212 9612